Quid Pro Grow: Coincidence versus Phishing

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Coincidence versus Phishing

Computers are great. They do not know anything information except for input.

Funnily, I have been receiving e-mails from someone with the same name. It is spelled the same, "Naomie." I know this person is not me. Someone else might think it is me.

There are a few explanations to this dilemma. They were born with same name or they are phishing.

When I was younger people thought Naomi is a unique and unusual name. Not many girls were named Naomi; however, it is a biblical name from the book of Ruth. People with pen names and stage names also want to chose normal sounding names. I have noticed several Celebrities and Television Characters with the name Naomi in the past couple of years.

My Mother named me Naomie and it is on my birth certificate and social security card. Maybe I will lease my name to someone someday. It is an actually business. Confusing me with someone else, demonstrates their inability to know who I am says three things: one, they listen to gossip; two, they leech off of people's reputation, and three, they are astute because they should already know people often have the same name. They might even have a Work Buddy or Cousin with the same name. They might want privacy. I don't know.

On FaceBook, there are several women named "Naomi Christensen." If you spell my name correctly, you'll find me; otherwise, there are several women and it might be difficult deciding which one is me. Their names are Naomi Christensen. It isn't an unusual name. I was named after my Great-Grandmother. They have different pictures, list their interests and want a FaceBook page. It isn't as impressive as Will Smith. Celebrity Will Smith probably has trouble owning fan-page. Too many people have the same name. Whomever was disappointed, needs to review their complaint.

Then there is suspicious activity. I started another account on a site. There is a standard naming convention. You click the name and the profile pops-up. You can see they are different people. I use a log-in name. It is not exactly unique; however, someone can easily change their log-in name with only a couple changes in letters and spaces. They might be trying to seem as though they are me. More likely, they liked the name. What kind of idiot cannot click on the profile?

More suspicious, there was someone on YouTube who changes someones name by a letter and pretends to be that person. They wallpaper the site in pictures of the person they are pretending to be and then favorite a bunch of racist videos. I remember looking at two sites. It was really awful and made the real people, just trying to have a YouTube account, look awful.

Watching a couple videos, it might be a protest against YouTube. Community guidelines express a need to not have hate speech or nudity in videos. This can be overridden if it is news or a part of a plot. This protest involved masquerading as Regular Users and then seeing how the public responds to the "news." An interesting protest. It was unnecessary. The news is important.

This type of phishing on YouTube is why there is a convenient option in the Video Manager under Channel Settings. InVideo Programming provides a Branding Watermark. Mine is on the upper, left-hand corner of my videos.

It would be great if everyone was honest. As mentioned, someone has the same name as me. They are sending out advertisements to people. I do not know what their real name is or if it is an actual company. While viewing the e-mail, I went to "show original." I went to the website following the @ symbol and searched the user name. They are not listed. I marked it as phishing. It is suspicious enough to report a problem. That is my only responsibility.

Some people like privacy. Some people like privacy because they are doing something wrong. It is like having a big home with modified stairwells and hidden passages. They are not really hidden. It would confuse a Burglar. There are several old homes that have homes within a home to protect family and stuff. To think they are using protective measures makes accusatory people look untrustworthy.

Then there are other people who want privacy to be abusive (like the people dragging everyone into a political agenda) or commit crime. These are a percentage of an already small percentage.

Computers do not have any information by themselves. It relies completely on input. They do not sit in a person's house and hear the User's name. It did not hear someone being called Alex and wonder why they are typing in Cherry.

Computers usually network on a platform called Delphi. Most operating systems and internet connecting software use it. Even the most avid Information Technologists believes there is a hot-key that reveals the real name and location of a User. I met them. They had not considered a person enters whatever information they want into the computer when activating the computer.

Some stores have an option to install the operating system. They will input actual information. When I bought this computer, they just put the anti-virus in a bag. I set-it-up at home.

Who would think of putting incorrect information on their computer? Someone who wants privacy. It could also be someone who bought a computer from someone else and never thought of changing it. It could also be a charitable donation to a church, library or school. No one there knows how to change that setting. The setting can be changed.

This also happens on websites. Whatever the person enters into the registration or profile is what will appear on the screen.

Sometimes a computer appears to have a mind of its own. It is usually a bug, inaccurate entry or a virus. Information has to be inputted by a person.

Except for the obvious problem of someone being able to input whatever information they want, that plan is flawless.

People are traceable. There are methods of obtaining a warrant to identify a internet protocol address. That limits potential suspects to an internet provider. When in doubt or purchasing something online identify if it is trustworthy website, especially when receiving an e-mail. It is better to go to websites I am already familiar with because domain names must be unique. Make sure there are no misspellings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion by leaving a comment.